The first thing that comes to mind when people want to volunteer with the rescue is to become a foster home. And while Rattie Ratz is always looking for reliable, patient, caring homes to foster our rats, there’s so much more that our volunteers can do to help us!
We have 3 types of homes that care for our rats: foster homes, sanctuary homes, and intake homes.
- Foster homes take in rats that usually need a little bit of handling, trust training, and special care in order to be adopted back out.
- Sanctuary homes take in rats that cannot be adopted back out due to temperament, health, or age.
- Intake homes take in rats from shelters and private individuals, then keep them for a minimum of 2 weeks to assess their temperament and health, and to keep them quarantined before they go into the foster or sanctuary homes.
First, please complete our Volunteer Application online in its entirety after you read though this entire FAQ page. If you’d rather not use the electronic form, you are welcome to fill out the printable version and email it to us at email@example.com, or drop it off at any of our upcoming events. References are required on the application. Additional requirements include:
- Complete a minimum attendance to at least 1 adoption fair per month for 3 months prior to getting your first foster rats. Pitch in to help, talk to people, ask questions, get to know us and how we work. Coming to the adoption fairs shows commitment to the rescue and to the rats in our care.
- Sign a foster home volunteer contract.
- Agree to and complete a minimum continuous fostering period of 6 months after receiving your first foster rats.
- Allow monthly home checks to verify the health and care of the rescue’s rats., as well as cleanliness of the home as a representation of the rescue. We are a network of foster homes, so our foster homes are an extension of the rescue.
- Attend at least 1 adoption fair each month with your foster rats once they are deemed ready for adoption.
Foster Program NeedsFoster Availability:
- Long-term (14+Days)
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Google Map Not Loaded
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.